Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Perlethorpe School c.1953 / 54



Perlethorpe School children, with their two teachers, c.1953 / 54.

Mrs Storer was in charge of the juniors prior to the arrival of Mrs Ward. Mrs Bruce was the Headmistress, and in charge of the seniors as they approached the "11-plus" examination.

 UPDATE: My gratitude to one time school mate Allan Wignall (seen HERE) for sending me a full list of the above pupils' names courtesy of his sister Joan.

Back row from left to right. 1 Mrs Storey. 2 Carol Mendan. 3 Pauline Johnstone. 4 John Singleton. 5 Richard Gill. 6 Pamela Cooper. 7 Stewart Johnstone. 8 Sheila Carnitas. 9 Mrs Bruce.

Middle Row from left to right. 1 Robert Rayner. 2 Hazel Wood. 3 Ronald Pashley. 4 Janet Fuller. 5 Josephine Jackson. 6 Christopher Devereax. 7 Christine Mott. 8 David Reddish. 9 Philip Whittaker.

 Bottom Row from left to right. 1 Christopher Cooper. 2 Joan Wignall. 3 Rose Carrol. 4 Kenneth Mott. 5 Tommy Riddley. 6 Francis Hendem. 7 Christine Craig. 8 Cynthia Wilks. 9 Madelaine Crowden. 100% correct, at least phonetically.

Apologies to anyone whose name may be misspelled. Mistakes can be corrected upon request. For more about Perlethorpe School, now Perlethorpe Environmental Centre, see also THIS LINK and THIS LINK. For renovations to Perlethorpe School / Environmental Centre see THIS LINK.


Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting, this picture
brings back a lot of memories.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger robin hood said...

Hi anonymous.

I do get a few emails from around the world with people expressing appreciation.

My "big sister" is bottom row, third from right...

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs Bruce was my Grandmother,
hence the interest.Although I
did not live in the immediate
area,I did attend the school for
a short while. Circa 1955.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger robin hood said...

That would be the time I started attending. I was in the juniors with Mrs Ward, in the rear room. To this day my "big sister" has the paper skeleton model given her by Mrs Bruce when she advised her she could become a nurse or doctor. My sister did indeed go on to join the medical profession.

They were inspiring times for children.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this site and foto by pure accident and was very surprised to see myself and my sister on it. However our surname in incorrect. It is Pauline and Stuart Johnstone, not Johnson.

The rest of the site is pure memory lane.
And very interesting

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger robin hood said...

Thankyou for the correction.

I'm thinking then that it must be Stuart Johnstone stood on the left, next to the jeep in the post about Perlethorpe:

http://thoresby.blogspot.com/2006/06/perlethorpe.html

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm - could be - the foto is not too clear. I can´t remember it being taken though nor the other child in the foto. If anyone recognises him/her, I´d be interested to hear.
Oh yes - being picky - Johnstone with an é´and not a ´t´
Good luck with the site.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger robin hood said...

Other child is Christine Craig's kid brother, Ian. I think this is the garden to 2 Radley's Lane.

Best wishes.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it was us then. Thanks for the info.
I´m not 100% sure but the boy and girl in the second row, Bry and Janet ? I think are the Fisher children.We left in 1954/55 and they had been at the school at least a year as I recall.

Best wishes

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger Ian Gordon Craig said...

I can only remember Linda Fisher. (I think her real name was Gweryl?) And I think their Dad ran the farm.

Someone will no doubt know over time. I'm amazed at who droops by. These blogs were only ever intended as a means to learn about html and website design. Famous last words...

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian,
You´re right - Mr Fisher was farm manager at that time. With regards to teh blog - everything connected to websites these days seems to take on a life of it´s own and once it starts....? No-one knows where it ends.
Anyway - compliments for the site - very extensive, detalaied and gives a good picture of life that we´ll never see again (sniff). A lot of good work. best reagrds and the same to Christine.
Stuart

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger robin hood said...

Thanks Stu, I shall pass your regards on to Christine. (I also thought it was David Fisher, but she knows better than me).

Funny to think it was you and I playing with dinky toys alongside that village green. As you say, a way of life we'll never see again. Not so much the childhood, but the values and the pace.

Best wishes to one and all.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI I think Pamela Cooper could be related to me, my dad was Arthur Cooper, he use to live at Home Farm, his brother was called Frank Cooper.

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  
Blogger robin hood said...

Hi anonymous.

I do remember being at school with Janet Cooper. She can be seen on this link

http://thoresby.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/perlethorpe-school-teachers.html

< $BlogCommentDateTime$>  

Post a Comment

<< Home